Monday, August 9, 2010

MVCA Regional Exhibition


Wow... it has been WAY too long since my last post. To anyone who might regularly follow this blog, my sincere apologies. Not only have I been really busy (like we all are), but I tend to get a little cranky with hot and sticky weather. But anyway, I will hopefully be posting a couple of entries before I leave for Amsterdam and Germany next week.
The 2010 Regional Exhibit at the Mohawk Valley Center for the Arts in Little Falls (juried by Andrew Albertson from the Arkell Museum) is in progress from now until August 27th, with the reception on Sunday, August 15th. The theme for this year's exhibit is "Images of the Mohawk Valley". I was a little concerned that a collage inspired by this theme might turn out to look more like a promotional tourist poster than a piece of art, but I was motivated to try to get a piece accepted into the show. The image (8" x 18") above is my end product (and was accepted). I was inspired a bit by Julie Sadler's collage work which successfully incorporates strong tactile elements and decided to use pieces of birch bark, an arrowhead and several Herkimer "diamonds" (unfortunately, those are difficult to see in this image). Hope you get a chance to check out the show. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment