Saturday, September 29, 2012

relax 'n' scraps





I was back in the studio last night and had a great time (and was productive too)! Here's a small piece (3.5 x 4.5"), the size of which was dictated by a set of small frames I got cheap at a garage sale (or auction?). I'm feeling like I can have a little more fun with these pieces as I'm not spending so much money matting and framing. The small size affords me the opportunity to experiment with some scraps I have laying around. I had the cut woman as a scrap because she was the back of another piece I used. Looking at that piece in isolation suggests that it wouldn't be too useful. When I found another scrap consisting of an aerial view of farm fields, I immediately saw the similarity in shapes and tone of the two pieces. I really liked the combination of the two. But the composition needed some contrast. I looked over at my scissors area and saw the "polyester" element sitting there. "Why not?" I thought to myself. But then it needed some balance (and perhaps color contrast). I think the final muted mauve "punch outs" did the trick. I really like the final product... and it came from "nothing but scraps". I think this was a good exercise for me and got me out of thinking that every step of a collage needs to be something "special". Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Clever you. It's true... having limited stuff to play with makes you think. Hence the success of Joel Lambeth's 'To The Power Of N'

    ReplyDelete