Saturday, January 18, 2014

The cost of karma?

At the risk of tooting my own horn or patting myself on the back, I would like to share a quick story. As I recently posted, I went to the Farmersville auction in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania this week to get some raw materials for collage. It's a great place to get stuff and it's very inexpensive. I previewed the book shown below and decided to bid on it. Most books start at the very low $1 level and go from there. I started the bidding with $1 and then an older gentleman bid $2 and then I bid $3 and so on. At $10, the older gentleman dropped out of the bidding. $10 is not that much money; but given how low things go for at the auction, it was a mid-level bid. I got the book! Another small box of books had not even gotten a $1 bid just before this book was auctioned, so they threw that box in as well. When I got the book and the box, and was coming back around to my seat, the older gentleman asked if I had bid to get the Collier's book or the other box. I informed him that I had bid on the Collier's book. He was disappointed. Then all of a sudden, I felt like the Grinch whose heart began to grow. I asked if he was a vet; to which he replied "yes". I figured that that is why he was bidding on the book. I decided to give it to him. He asked "How much?" as I handed the book to him. I shook his hand and said "Nothing.
Thank you for your service". So I guess the cost of karma is $10

No comments:

Post a Comment