Saturday, February 7, 2015

ambitious projects

I have been busy recently (and of course, I am not the only one who is busy... and "what's new"?). Just got back from another conference late Sunday night. The conference was for the Southern Humanities Council and was held in Athens, GA. What an absolutely wonderful group of folks! They are the most open, supportive and stimulating group of academics I have ever been around. I did a talk about Joseph Cornell's artwork and the theme of "bubbles" (related to his work -- a la "Soap Bubbles Sets" and his life and spiritual views). I also read some of my original poetry. It was a great time! I always come back from that conference re-invigorated and ready to produce and create. The problem is, I have had an excruciating sinus headache all week and so have been getting "business-y" stuff done, but not much else. Today I am starting to feel a little better, so I am posting. In addition to doing some "regular" collage work (I hope), I am also embarking on two pretty ambitious projects. Firstly, my guitar is fully prepped and I am ready to begin to place elements down on it. I am a little bit concerned about the actual elements that I will be using, however. I was thinking of putting down a background layer of musical notes and then working "up" from there. But, I don't want the finished piece to be too "cliché" (i.e., with musical notes). I think it would look nice; but will it look too kitsch? We'll see what emerges. The second project involves a 32 x 32 matrix. That's OVER 900 cells into which I will place individual elements. I will withhold telling you what the matrix is all about until I finish the piece. Anyway, looking forward to getting "back to the table" now that I am feeling better!

No comments:

Post a Comment